Schoolboy becomes youngest LEGO® Model Designer for new LEGOLAND® Castle Hotel Print
- James Waine, 11, won a national LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort design competition
- His LEGO® model now stands at the entrance of the new LEGOLAND® Castle Hotel
An 11-year-old budding theme park designer saw his dreams come true this week, as the LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort converted his hand-drawn design into a 8.5ft tall LEGO® model, now taking centre stage at the entrance of the brand new LEGOLAND Castle Hotel.
Darlington schoolboy, James Waine, beat hundreds of other children to win the nationwide competition*, launched by the Resort to celebrate its new LEGOLAND Castle hotel. As the Hotel opened its doors this weekend (1 July 2017), the prestigious prize saw James place the final brick, as his family, a jester, knights and a crowd of onlookers, all gathered to celebrate the unveiling of his impressive tournament-ready LEGO knight on horseback model.
Three talented LEGO Model Makers spent 360 hours using an impressive 160,000 LEGO bricks to bring his imaginative design to life. James’ winning model stands at 8.5ft tall with an eye-catching ‘Sir Bricksalot’ banner and shields with hidden sensors that bring the model roaring and neighing to life as guests walk past.
On seeing his winning design for the very first time, James said: “It’s so awesome to see my design turned into a real life LEGO model. It’s so big and even better than I imagined it would be. I want to be a theme park designer when I’m older so this is a dream come true.”
As part of his fantastic prize, James and his family were also amongst the first families to stay at the Hotel. Situated right on the edge of the theme park, the LEGOLAND Castle Hotel brings to life an enchanted world of brave knights, magical wizards and mischievous jesters. 657 colourful LEGO touches and models feature throughout; from the astonishing lobby - dominated by a giant floor to ceiling LEGO Wizard unleashing LEGO magic from his staff - to the tiny mice, frogs and dragonflies.
With separate sleeping areas for adults and up to three children, the 61 magical Wizard and Knight bedrooms are brimming with LEGO surprises too. As well as the bright LEGO wall graphics and the magical LEGO models, children (and adults alike) will delight in solving the special clues hidden in the carpet and walls to unlock the LEGO surprise that wait in the safe. Bunting, flags, LEGO shields and an illuminated stained glass window bring the majestic Knight themed rooms to life, whilst the spellbinding Wizard rooms are bursting with LEGO magic from potion bottles, spell books and mystical LEGO creatures.
Joined by the á la carte Tournament Tavern Restaurant; Jester’s Play Den; and LEGO building stations across the Hotel, guests are guaranteed a magical stay, packed with fun and excitement.
The LEGOLAND Castle Hotel is now open. Prices start from £572 for a family room (2 adults/2 children) including breakfast, park tickets for two days plus exclusive benefits. For bookings and more information visit: www.legoland.co.uk/castle.
- Harriet Potter at Clarion Communications firstname.lastname@example.org / 020 7323 3203
- The new premium LEGOLAND Castle Hotel themed family hotel opened at the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort on 1 July 2017
- *Earlier this year, the resort tasked children aged 2 to 16 to enter their castle-themed drawings, battling for the chance to see their design brought to life and take pride of place at the new hotel.
- Features 61 knights and wizards themed rooms
- Booking is open, with prices from £572 for a family room (2 adults /2 children) including breakfast, park tickets for two days and early access to select rides in the park. Plus special exclusive benefits including drinks vessels, swim bags, factory bricks and exclusive pop badges
- For bookings and more information visit: www.legoland.co.uk/castle.
Notes To Editors:
- LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Brick and Knob configurations and LEGOLAND are trademarks of the LEGO Group. (c)2017 The LEGO Group.
- The LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort is a unique family theme park where children aged 2 -12 can take to the road, soar through the skies and sail the seas in complete safety. It has over 55 interactive rides, attractions, live shows, building workshops and driving schools, not to mention a staggering 80 million LEGO® bricks, all set in 150 acres of beautiful parkland.
- There are seven other LEGOLAND® parks in the world – LEGOLAND® Billund in Denmark, LEGOLAND® California in the U.S.A, LEGOLAND® Florida, LEGOLAND® Deutschland in Germany, LEGOLAND® Dubai and LEGOLAND® Malaysia and LEGOLAND Japan.
- Merlin Entertainments plc is a global leader in location based, family entertainment. As Europe's Number 1 and the world's second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates over 100 attractions, 13 hotels and 5 holiday villages in 24 countries and across 4 continents. The company aims to deliver memorable experiences to its more than 60 million visitors worldwide, through its iconic global and local brands, and the commitment and passion of its c.27,000 employees (peak season). Visit www.merlinentertainments.biz for more information.