UK's Best Pet Gets a LEGO® Double at the LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort Print
UK's Best Pet Gets a LEGO® Double at the LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort.
UK’S BEST PET GETS A LEGO® DOUBLE AT THE LEGOLAND® WINDSOR RESORT
Thursday 27 August 2015: A Sprocker Spaniel was officially declared the UK’s best pet when he came nose to nose with his perfect LEGO double at the LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort today. One year old Sully was voted the nation’s top dog for helping a family deal with life changing tragedy and was nominated by eight year old Ella
Sully was joined by his owners, The Harvey Family, who credit their dog with bringing them closer together after dad, Gavin, lost both legs on a tour of duty in Afghanistan. The canine topped a nationwide search to find the country’s best pet friend and Ella was overjoyed to see her puppy pal honoured with his very own LEGO model in the LEGO Friends Heartlake City area of the world famous destination.
Ella’s mum Kerry explained how Sully has helped The Harveys over some dark times. “There’s so much physically that we cannot do as a family since Gavin was injured and Sully helps us bridge that activity gap. In fact, that’s really the reason we got him. But as well as keeping us active he’s forged a very special relationship with Ella. They truly are best friends and when we do have down days, as we still do, he brightens things up for Ella and her little sister Millie. They are both crazy for animals AND massive LEGO Friends fans so for Sully to be made in LEGO for the LEGO Friends area is beyond exciting for them!”
The playful spaniel took a keen interest in his LEGO double, which took a Model Maker 11 days to create from 6,255 individual bricks. The 67cm tall model mirrors Sully’s unique brown and white markings including a distinctive heart shaped patch on his back. The model will now take up residence in the new LEGO Friends
Heartlake City area at the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort.
The LEGOLAND Windsor Resort’s search for the nation’s best pet friend came off the back of a survey* revealing that one in six children said their animals were better friends than their human besties and Sully and Ella’s story struck a chord. “We asked the public to pick which pet deserved the title from a shortlist and Sully won hands down**’, said PR Manager at the Resort, Lauren Moss. “We know that children do have very special relationships with their pets, and that’s something we celebrate in our LEGO Friends area. We are delighted Sully will now take pride of place amongst the other LEGO pets in Heartlake City - he truly deserves it.”
Sully joins a lineup of LEGO models, including LEGO Friends pets Bella the pony, Felix the cat and Coco the puppy in the dedicated area which opened in May,
Notes to editors:
* Survey conducted by CENSUSWIDE with 1000 children in June 2015
** Facebook poll ran in August 2015
Gavin Harvey was a Sergeant in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers and was injured in a routine manoeuvre in 2009, losing both legs and suffering internal injuries. He lives in Salisbury with his wife Kerry and two daughters Ella (eight years old) and Mille (six).
Tansy Ratcliffe - James at freerange on 020 7402 9966 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• The LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort is a unique family theme park where children aged 2 -12 can take to the road, soar through the skies and sail the seas in complete safety. It has over 55 interactive rides, attractions, live shows, building workshops and driving schools, not to mention a staggering 80 million LEGO® bricks, all set in 150 acres of beautiful parkland.
• The LEGOLAND Windsor Resort opens from March 13 – 2 November 2015. It is closed on selected midweek days in April, May, September, October and November. For further details please check www.LEGOLAND.co.uk
• There are five other LEGOLAND® parks in the world – LEGOLAND® Billund in Denmark, LEGOLAND® California in the U.S.A, LEGOLAND® Florida, LEGOLAND® Deutschland in Germany and LEGOLAND® Malaysia.
• MERLIN ENTERTAINMENTS plc is the leading name in location-based, family entertainment. Europe’s Number 1 and the world’s second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates 109 attractions, 12 hotels/4 holiday villages in 23 countries and across 4 continents. The company aims to deliver memorable and rewarding experiences to its almost 63 million visitors worldwide, through its iconic global and local brands, and the commitment and passion of
its managers and c26,000 employees (peak season).
• Among Merlin’s attractions are - SEA LIFE, Madame Tussauds, LEGOLAND, The London Eye, Dungeons, Gardaland, LEGOLAND Discovery Centres, Alton Towers Resort, Warwick Castle, THORPE PARK Resort, Blackpool Tower, Heide Park Resort, Sydney Tower Eye and SKYWALK. All brands which are distinctive, challenging and innovative – and
which have great potential for growth in the future. Visit www.merlinentertainments.biz for more information.