You have to sea it to be shore! The LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort unveils a giant, LEGO® themed sand sculpture to wow guests Print
The LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort has unveiled its first ever giant sand sculpture today, depicting a family of huge LEGO® Minifigures enjoying the summer sun on the beach.
Built to celebrate the all-new ‘Summer of Fun’ event taking place at the Resort until 2 September, guests will find the six-foot tall, 20 tonne spectacle on the lawn opposite the Fire Academy ride.
The enormous creation has been hand-crafted over four days by professional sand sculptor, Raymond Wirick. The specially designed scene brings the fun of a family beach holiday to life with its portrayal of a mum and dad lounging on deck chairs, whilst the LEGO children build sand castles with their buckets and spades.
Set to wow children with its size and scale, the sculpture is constructed from 20 tonnes of sand – the equivalent of a whopping four million LEGO bricks – with the sandy LEGO Minifigures standing at 48 times bigger than their tiny real-life counterparts.
Lauren Moss, Senior PR Manager at The LEGOLAND Windsor Resort, commented: “We’re well used to creating spectacular LEGO builds at the Resort, thanks to our talented team of Model Makers, but working with Raymond to create this awesome sand sculpture is completely new for us and our guests, and hugely exciting. We can’t wait to see it inspiring children over the next two months, whether it’s with sand or LEGO, as they get building at our new ‘Summer of Fun’ pop-up beach party.”
Raymond Wirick, Sand Sculptor, commented: ‘It’s been fantastic seeing the reactions from the guests during the past four days as I’ve been sculpting the LEGO Minifigure family. Little ones have been asking lots of questions, if it’s real sand, and how can they make their own sand sculptures. I can’t wait to see the guest’s reactions now the sculpture is complete, and hope it will inspire lots of sand castle creations at LEGOLAND’s pop-up beach nearby.’
Alongside the new sand sculpture, the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort is hosting a Beach Party (until 2 September) where little builders will be entertained with buckets and spades, LEGO building activities of underwater creatures and beach themed models, and POP music to dance along to with special guests LEGO Shark Guy and LEGO Sea Captain who will be stopping by to join the party.
After playing in the sand, little ones can continue the fun by cooling off at Splash Safari, while bigger builders can enjoy Drench Towers, the UK’s largest outdoor water play structure complete with slides and the famous giant tipping DUPLO® brick.
Families will also get to explore the whole Resort, including over 55 rides and attractions, spectacular new LEGO landmarks in the world-famous Miniland, plus an awesome new digital LEGO Reef, and a brand new exclusive LEGO® NINJAGO® 4D movie.
For more information on the ‘Summer of Fun’ event at the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort, visit www.legoland.co.uk/Summer.
Park ticket prices
- Tickets from £32 on selected dates, when booked online at least 7 days in advance
- The LEGOLAND Windsor Resort’s ‘Summer of Fun’ is available to book now at www.legoland.co.uk
Resort Hotel prices
- Book a short break before 22 July and enjoy Kids Go Free on select dates
- Castle Hotel – Premium themed family rooms available from £150pp for a family of 4 including breakfast and park tickets for two days
- LEGOLAND Hotel - Themed family rooms available from £122pp for a family of 4. Price includes breakfast and park tickets for two days
- Book here: www.legolandholidays.co.uk/
NOTE TO EDITORS
- LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Brick and Knob configurations and LEGOLAND are trademarks of the LEGO Group. © 2018 The LEGO Group.
- The LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort is a unique family theme park where children aged 2 -12 can take to the road, soar through the skies and sail the seas in complete safety. It has over 55 interactive rides, attractions, live shows, building workshops and driving schools, not to mention a staggering 80 million LEGO® bricks, all set in 150 acres of beautiful parkland.
- There are seven other LEGOLAND® parks in the world – LEGOLAND® Billund, LEGOLAND® California, LEGOLAND® Florida, LEGOLAND® Deutschland, LEGOLAND® Malaysia, LEGOLAND® Japan and LEGOLAND® Dubai.
About Merlin Entertainments plc
- Merlin Entertainments plc is a global leader in location based, family entertainment. As Europe's Number 1 and the world's second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates over 120 attractions, 18 hotels and 6 holiday villages in 25 countries and across 4 continents. The company aims to deliver memorable experiences to more than 65 million visitors worldwide, through its iconic global and local brands, and the commitment and passion of its c.29,000 employees (peak season).
- See Merlin Backstage (www.merlinentertainments.biz/backstage or www.facebook.com/merlinbackstage) for an insight into how Merlin delivers memorable experiences to its many millions of visitors to its attractions.
- Visit www.merlinentertainments.biz for more information.
About Raymond Wirick
- Raymond Wirick has been a professional sculptor for 25 years, sculpting sand for 20
- From small table top size sculptures in a hotel lobby completed in an afternoon, to awesome 100-ton displays requiring weeks of carving, Raymond and his team travel the world demonstrating and teaching the gravity defying art of sand sculpture