Back to All Posts
The LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort Extends Mythical Design Competition To Help Kids Get Creative During Lockdown
- Monday January 25th 2021
- Press Office
- LEGO® MYTHICA
[January 25 2021]: The LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort has extended the submission deadline for its ‘Create a Creature’ competition.
Kids aged 2 to 16 now have until Monday 1 March to design a LEGO® mythical creature for the chance to see their masterpiece transformed into a six-foot tall LEGO model and placed in the heart of LEGOLAND Windsor’s multi-million-pound new land: LEGO® MYTHICA: World of Mythical Creatures.
Launched last month, the Resort’s Model Maker team challenged kids to dig deep into their imaginations and build from LEGO, paint, or draw their very own mythical creature. Children are also asked to submit details about their character’s backstory, including where has it come from, where it lives and whether it has any special powers or tricks.
The deadline was extended to give families currently home schooling a chance to enter and provide a fun way of teaching during lockdown. As well as using STEM skills to construct their model, the ‘Create a Creature’ competition encourages children’s storytelling skills by asking them to create a history and purpose for their mythical creature.
The winner will be invited to the grand unveiling of their creature in summer 2021 and get the chance to complete the build by placing the final LEGO brick. They will also win premium LEGOLAND Annual Passes for their whole family, an overnight stay at one of the Resort’s Hotels and a LEGO goodie bag.
There are four runner-up prizes up for grabs including family tickets to the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort and LEGO goodie bags.
Paula Laughton, Chief Model Maker at the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort, said: “We’re encouraging kids to let their imaginations run wild and design a mythical creature model to win a once in a lifetime prize. This is a fantastic opportunity to have some fun during lockdown while learning at the same time.
“LEGO bricks are a great tool for education. They inspire creativity as well as teaching kids basic STEM skills. With this competition, there is no limit to how creative you can be. We cannot wait to see your designs.”
Due to open in spring 2021, LEGO MYTHICA: World of Mythical Creatures marks the Resort’s single biggest investment since the gates opened 25 years ago and will see children’s imaginations and creativity run wild as mythical LEGO creatures come to life in front of their very eyes.
To enter the competition, kids aged between 2-16 years old need to submit a photo of their LEGO creation or drawing to the ‘Create a Creature’ competition page on the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort website.
Entries close on 1 March 2021. A judging panel will shortlist the three best designs and the voting then opens for the public to choose their favourite mythical creature.
Voting will take place between 8 and 22 March, with the winner announced by 26 March.
For more information, please visit www.LEGOLAND.co.uk/Create.
For further information, please contact the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort press office via email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, contact Liam McNamara from Stripe Communications on (+44) 07946 328708 or email@example.com
NOTE TO EDITORS
About the competition
- The competition runs from 00:01 GMT on 1 December 2020 until 23:59 GMT on 1 March 2021. Voting will take place from 00:01 GMT on 8 March 2021 until 23:59 GMT on 22 March 2021. The winner of the competition will be notified by email on or before 26 March 2021.
- To be eligible to enter the competition, entrants must obtain permission from their parent or legal guardian and must be aged between 2 and 16 on the date of entry. Entrants must also be residents in the UK.
- Full terms and conditions can be found here.
- LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Brick and Knob configurations, and LEGOLAND are trademarks of the LEGO Group. © 2021 The LEGO Group.
- The LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort is a unique family theme park where children aged 2 -12 can take to the road, soar through the skies and sail the seas in complete safety. It has over 55 interactive rides, attractions, live shows, building workshops and driving schools, not to mention a staggering 80 million LEGO®bricks, all set in 150 acres of beautiful parkland.
- There are seven other LEGOLAND® parks in the world – LEGOLAND® Billund in Denmark, LEGOLAND® California in the U.S.A, LEGOLAND® Florida, LEGOLAND® Deutschland in Germany, LEGOLAND® Dubai, LEGOLAND® Malaysia and LEGOLAND Japan.
About Merlin Entertainments Limited
- Merlin Entertainments Limited is a global leader in location-based, family entertainment. As Europe's Number 1 and the world's second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates over 130 attractions, 19 hotels and 6 holiday villages in 25 countries and across 4 continents. Merlin’s purpose is to deliver memorable experiences to its 67 million guests around the world, through its iconic brands and multiple attraction formats, and the commitment and passion of its c.28,000 employees (peak season).
- See merlinentertainments.biz for more information and follow on Twitter @MerlinEntsNews