Back to All Posts
The LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort Unveils First Mythical Creature Built From More Than 100,000 LEGO® Bricks
- Thursday January 21st 2021
- Press Office
- LEGO® MYTHICA
Thursday 21 January 2021: The LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort has today revealed the first mystifying mythical creature, made from 109,522 LEGO® bricks, which is set to feature in its new multi-million-pound land – LEGO MYTHICA: World of Mythical Creatures.
In a new time-lapse video, viewers get an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the Chimera creature coming to life. Inspired by Greek mythology, the Chimera features four different heads – a shark, snake, eagle and lion – and weighs a whopping 334kg and took 12 talented Model Makers 653 hours to build.
The Chimera is the first of 13 new giant LEGO mythical models being created in LEGO’s master workshop and gives a glimpse into what guests can expect when they enter the parallel universe of LEGO MYTHICA, due to open in spring 2021.
Marianne McGoldrick, Marketing Director at the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort, said: “It’s been an amazing experience to watch the team build such a diverse set of large-scale LEGO models which have been inspired by the imaginations of children. Each mythical character is so unique and like nothing else we’ve ever featured at LEGOLAND Windsor before.
“It takes our model makers many hours to intricately turn thousands of different sized and coloured LEGO bricks into these incredible models and we can’t wait for families to meet the Chimera and learn more about its role in the story of LEGO MYTHICA when the land opens later this year.”
Expected to open in spring 2021, LEGO MYTHICA: World of Mythical Creatures marks the Resort’s single biggest investment since the gates opened 25 years ago and will feature thrilling new attractions and experiences, including a never-before-seen UK ride.
Working in partnership with Kids Industries, the LEGOLAND Windsor team behind the new land spent a year discussing and testing ideas and concepts with 7 to 11-year-olds and their parents, who influenced everything from the final ride experiences, names and characters.
The LEGOLAND Windsor Resort is also offering children aged between 2 – 16 years the chance to design the 14th LEGO MYTHICA model to be installed in the new land later this year. To enter the competition, kids should submit a photo of their LEGO creation or drawing of their model to the ‘Create a Creature’ competition page on the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort website. For more information, please visit www.LEGOLAND.co.uk/Create.
For more information about LEGO MYTHICA: World of Mythical Creatures, visit www.legoland.co.uk/mythica
For further information, please contact the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort press office at email@example.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS
- LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Brick and Knob configurations, and LEGOLAND are trademarks of the LEGO Group. © 2021 The LEGO Group.
- The LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort is a unique family theme park where children aged 2 -12 can take to the road, soar through the skies and sail the seas in complete safety. It has over 55 interactive rides, attractions, live shows, building workshops and driving schools, not to mention a staggering 80 million LEGO®bricks, all set in 150 acres of beautiful parkland.
- There are seven other LEGOLAND® parks in the world – LEGOLAND® Billund in Denmark, LEGOLAND® California in the U.S.A, LEGOLAND® Florida, LEGOLAND® Deutschland in Germany, LEGOLAND® Dubai, LEGOLAND® Malaysia and LEGOLAND Japan.
About Merlin Entertainments Limited
- Merlin Entertainments Limited is a global leader in location-based, family entertainment. As Europe's Number 1 and the world's second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates over 130 attractions, 19 hotels and 6 holiday villages in 25 countries and across 4 continents. Merlin’s purpose is to deliver memorable experiences to its 67 million guests around the world, through its iconic brands and multiple attraction formats, and the commitment and passion of its c.28,000 employees (peak season).
- See www.merlinentertainments.biz for more information and follow on Twitter @MerlinEntsNews.