Back to All Posts
Inside LEGOLAND® To Air This August On Channel 5
- Friday July 31st 2020
- Press Office
- Inside LEGOLAND
For the first time ever, cameras have been given exclusive access to the people and day-to-day running of the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort in a four-part documentary to be broadcast on Channel 5 this August.
Titled Inside LEGOLAND: A World of Wonder, the first one-hour programme will go out at 8pm on Sunday 9th August with the other three episodes set to be shown in the same weekly Sunday slot throughout August.
Filmed over five months during summer 2019 and the start of this year, viewers will be given unrivalled access into what it takes to keep one of the UK’s favourite family theme parks running and be introduced to some of the 1,800-strong workforce who work tirelessly to create childhood memories that last a lifetime.
In episode one next Sunday, viewers will meet LEGOLAND Windsor’s expert team of Model Makers who between them are responsible for building, refining and updating the thousands of LEGO® models across the Park. Made up of over 90 million LEGO bricks, there’s always a job to be done from replacing the fences at Buckingham Palace in Miniland to overseeing the new hippos – made from 5,000 LEGO bricks each – be transported to their new home by the lake. Viewers will also follow the newest member of the Model Maker team, Will, as he embarks on his first day in one of the most sought-after roles at the Park.
On one of the hottest days of last summer, cameras were there as families flocked in their hundreds to earn their driving licence at the much-loved LEGOLAND Driving School before cooling down on the water slides and dodging the fountains at Drench Towers. But behind the scenes viewers will see just what it takes to keep the rides running as temperatures rise under the watchful eye of the Park’s Technical Services team.
Inside LEGOLAND: A World of Wonder will also take viewers on the journey of designing, building and launching a brand-new rollercoaster as the Park prepares to reveal the world’s first ever DUPLO rollercoaster – the hotly anticipated DUPLO Dino Coaster. With over 100 hours of footage captured, no stone is left unturned as cameras follow the Animation team perform a sky-high six monthly dentist check-up on the technic dinosaur made from over one million LEGO bricks, the Ride Services team diagnose what’s troubling the Jolly Rocker pirate ship and the Events team race against the clock to display 3,000 pumpkins across the Park in time for Halloween. Viewers will also find out which household item Housekeeper Michelle can’t live without for cleaning the 2,000 LEGO models found in the Hotel’s 209 rooms.
Marianne McGoldrick, Marketing Director at the LEGOLAND Windsor Resort, said: “We’ve been welcoming families to LEGOLAND Windsor for over two decades and we thought it was about time we let the nation go behind the scenes to see what’s involved, and the secret tricks and tips, in keeping a 150 acre theme park and two hotels running around the clock.
“Having reopened at the start of July, we’ve already helped thousands of families have some much-needed fun after a difficult few months and we hope that Inside LEGOLAND: A World of Wonder will inspire plans for a Great British day out or staycation this summer.”
For more details on LEGOLAND Windsor’s hygiene and safety measures visit www.legoland.co.uk/reopening
FOR MEDIA ENQUIRIES AND PREVIEW CLIPS PLEASE CONTACT:
Laura Askew, Head of PR
NOTE TO EDITORS:
About LEGOLAND Windsor
- LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Brick and Knob configurations, and LEGOLAND are trademarks of the LEGO Group. © 2019 The LEGO Group.
- The LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort is a unique family theme park where children aged 2 -12 can take to the road, soar through the skies and sail the seas in complete safety. It has over 55 interactive rides, attractions, live shows, building workshops and driving schools, not to mention a staggering 80 million LEGO®bricks, all set in 150 acres of beautiful parkland.
- There are seven other LEGOLAND® parks in the world – LEGOLAND® Billund in Denmark, LEGOLAND® California in the U.S.A, LEGOLAND® Florida, LEGOLAND® Deutschland in Germany, LEGOLAND® Dubai and LEGOLAND® Malaysia and LEGOLAND Japan
About Merlin Entertainments
- Merlin Entertainments Limited is a global leader in location-based, family entertainment. As Europe's Number 1 and the world's second-largest visitor attraction operator, Merlin now operates over 130 attractions, 19 hotels and 6 holiday villages in 25 countries and across 4 continents. Merlin’s purpose is to deliver memorable experiences to its 67 million guests around the world, through its iconic brands and multiple attraction formats, and the commitment and passion of its c.28,000 employees (peak season).
- See www.merlinentertainments.biz for more information and follow on Twitter @MerlinEntsNews.